Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
October 30, 2014 08:24
Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
20141030082431.GB85032@plasmasturm.org
* Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-10-30 06:05]:
> On Wed Oct 29 21:44:19 2014, public@khwilliamson.com wrote:
> > The remaining question I have is what happens if only one end of the
> > range is a Unicode construct?
> >
> > [\N{U+04}-\x{09}]
> > [\x{04}-\N{U+09}]
> >
> > I think this should be deprecated,
>
> I don’t think it should be deprecated. Most of us don’t care whether
> our code runs on EBCDIC, so things that just work on ASCII platforms
> should not be deprecated or removed because of EBCDIC-accommodating
> reasoning.

Are you arguing a principle here or do you have code that would break?
(In which case, how much?)

To me the principle behind this deprecation is not “this would not port
to EBCDIC so you should not be doing this” but “we are making \x and \N
mean different things that cannot semantically be mixed”.

Regards,