RE: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Ed Avis
Date:
October 30, 2014 07:19
RE: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
7E039918541B4C4183BFDB8F015C743080EE13@WCL-EXCH02.wcl.local
I suggest that "Most of us don’t care whether our code runs on EBCDIC," is not the best way to frame the issue.
For application code this  may be true, but library code usually has to be written more cuatiously,
as you don't know where it will end up.  I am not saying that nonportable constructs should be disallowed,
but that it should be an explicit choice for the programmer to use them, where reasonably possible.

If deprecating [\N{U+04}-\x{09}] is not acceptable then just define it to treat both sides as Unicode.
That leaves \x{}-\x{} as the explicit way to request a native (nonportable) range, while everything else
will be the same on all platforms.