[perl #123006] Embedding perl with -DPERL_NO_SHORT_NAMES is not -Wall clean

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
October 30, 2014 01:13
Subject:
[perl #123006] Embedding perl with -DPERL_NO_SHORT_NAMES is not -Wall clean
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-6988-1414631621-640.123006-15-0@perl.org
On Sat Oct 18 16:19:44 2014, sprout wrote:
> PERL_NO_SHORT_NAMES is, unfortunately, unmaintained, and has been for
> a long time (maybe even a decade or more?).  We have no infrastructure
> for testing it.

That isn't too hard to test, since we already test embedding.  Patches attached.

> Nor do we have any convention for documenting which
> items in perlapi.pod are macros (for which the Perl_ prefix would not
> work), and this has changed back and forth for many functions/macros.

This is the main problem.  What should be available under PERL_NO_SHORT_NAMES?

Should PL_* variables be available?

> I wonder whether we should just remove it from perlembed.pod, or
> altogether.  But there is certainly room for conflict with other C
> headers.  So I don’t see any easy solution.

Tony

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open