Re: new long doubles option: gcc libquadmath

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 29, 2014 15:54
Re: new long doubles option: gcc libquadmath
Message ID:
CA+vYcVy+jV=xdvaDUc0PAkiLo8p_esSL7CB9uQR6vz3morB9aQ@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:34 AM, Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> wrote:

> (2) the IEEE quadruple, can be hardware (alpha) or software (like
> quadmath), the "true descendant" of the IEEE double.  Can be of either
> endianness, though I'm aware only of little-endian implementations.

As far as I know, 128-bit (X_FLOAT) IEEE quad was done entirely in
software on Alpha. This based on a vague but long-standing impression
and on section 2.2.6.3 of the Alpha Architecture Handbook, available
at, for example,
<http://www.cs.arizona.edu/projects/alto/Doc/local/alphahb2.pdf>.

The only indications of hardware support I can find are for Itanium
and z/Architecture.