Test farm

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
October 27, 2014 17:24
Subject:
Test farm
Message ID:
20141027182413.67599020@pc09.procura.nl
On dromedary, I have a copy of builds of all perl versions ever
released (and still building at the time I did).

Of each release there are at least two versions: one threaded and one
unthreaded. Of the more recent perl releases, there is also a build
that was compiled with clang.

The farm has proven me very useful over the past years in order to find
where features were introduced or - more important - if any of those
versions had reproducible performance issues for the problem at hand.

This weekend I attended a BugHunt session with OpenSUSE, where I
updated/upgraded my laptop from OpenSUSE 13.1/i686 to OpenSUSE
13.2/x68_64

That implies that every new build will be 64bit

What would be most useful ...

1. Rebuild all builds for 64bit (will take a while)

2. Find a way to build 32bit versions on a native 64bit machine. This I
   never tried, as my laptop was 32bit and the default was to build
   32bit.

Doing 2. will also mean I have to chase whatever 32bit libs were used
and replaced with 64bit versions in the upgrade process without
installing the -32bit counterpart.

Doing neither will render the farm less useless as - at least IMHO -
64bit builds cannot be compared to 32bit builds on the same arch

Opinions welcome

using perl5.00307 .. 5.21   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE