[perl #122031] Bleadperl v5.21.0-129-g8dab3ba breaks MLEHMANN/Guard-1.022.tar.gz

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
October 27, 2014 00:03
Subject:
[perl #122031] Bleadperl v5.21.0-129-g8dab3ba breaks MLEHMANN/Guard-1.022.tar.gz
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-15072-1414368208-1584.122031-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Aug 28 19:54:52 2014, andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de wrote:
> Perlpolicy says this about backwards incompatibility:
>
>     Generally, backward incompatible changes will have deprecation
>     warnings for two release cycles before being removed
>
> It should be noted that the compilation of Guard.xs did not produce a
> warning up to v5.21.0-128. Admitted, the citation aims at user-visible
> changes, but I think that by analogy one could righteously expect that
> compilation of XS modules also has a deprecation cycle. Especially when
> there are no pressing needs.
>
> Are there pressing needs or is it cheap? If the latter, please consider
> rewriting in a backwards compatible way.

It was documented as deprecated in 5.18.0:

 =head2 PL_sv_objcount

 This interpreter-global variable used to track the total number of
 Perl objects in the interpreter. It is no longer maintained and will
 be removed altogether in Perl v5.20.

So it did have a deprecation cycle.

We could look at adding a mechanism for deprecating interpreter and global variables, but I'm not sure it's worth it for something we've rarely* done.

Tony

*I think

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open