Re: Bringing the regex compiler into the current millenium.

From:
demerphq
Date:
October 23, 2014 14:36
Re: Bringing the regex compiler into the current millenium.
Message ID:
CANgJU+UxgeJoEcGekaw4OoyFH+HMgjaPC+uWhKJtTGzpkQLDZQ@mail.gmail.com
On 23 October 2014 15:36, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:15:05AM +0200, demerphq wrote:
> > I will start a project to rewrite the regex compiler in the next little
> > while,
>
> +100
>
> > 1. Change the current awkward multi-pass lexer, into a single pass lexer
> > which constructs an AST which is then analysed and optimised, which woud
> > then be used to produce the final encoded program.
>
> That sounds great. My only proviso would be that you use some sort of
> slab or arena system for allocating the AST nodes, to avoid lots of
> mallocs.

I fear I am not up to that level without assistance or guidance. It
definitely is something I *want* to do, but I dont want this project going
bust because of that.

Do you feel that if I were to just ignore malloc costs to start that it
would be reasonable to retrofit the slab stuff?

> > or wish to contribute.
>
> Since I know almost nothing about the compiler, I doubt that I can
> contribute much, but I'm happy to do so if you can think of something.

Well you could keep an eye on what I am doing and help me get the slab
stuff set up to your satisfaction. TBH, that is the part I feel the least
confident about. Guidance in terms of getting the basic foundations set up
right would be very valuable, from there I feel pretty confident I can run
a long way without needing too much help.

Yves