[perl #5907] inconsistencies in locale support

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
October 19, 2014 23:42
Subject:
[perl #5907] inconsistencies in locale support
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-27979-1413762145-1679.5907-15-0@perl.org

Subsequently, Karl Williamson wrote:

> [T]hings have been cleaned up for 5.20.  'use locale' is required
> for locale to be visible to Perl space, but not to POSIX:: space.  The
> POSIX::isfoo functions are now
> deprecated, instead of fixing their bugs.  The one remaining issue I
> see in this ticket is the POSIX::toupper and ::tolower functions don't
> respect locale, unlike the other POSIX functions.  This is trivial to
> change, but I'm not sure we shouldn't just deprecate these as well;
> they have behaved identically to uc() and lc() for some time, except
> that the latter can be made to respect locale.
>
> So the question is do we fix these or deprecate them?

When I later asked:

> >> Can we now move forward with the deprecation?

Karl commented further:

> But actually, there may be a reason to fix and not deprecate, and that
> is fixing is trivial, that is, it's less work in the short term than
> deprecating.

Can we move toward a resolution of this 13-1/2-year-old ticket?  Suggestions?  Patches?

Thank you very much.

--
James E Keenan (jkeenan@cpan.org)

---