cpanminus and cpanfiles in core?

From:
Voß, Jakob
Date:
October 16, 2014 19:17
Subject:
cpanminus and cpanfiles in core?
Message ID:
EF53FA31F1CB7B4F9E23F66ADBEBD5240A4E9979@BL460-82.vzg.local
Hi,

This question is not about functionality but usability.

I wonder whether there are any plans or objections to include cpanminus in core and to deprecate the cpan command line client. I have not used the latter since years and all modern instructions to install a perl module or application look like this

1. make sure you have installed perl
2. install cpanminus
3. call "cpanm Some::Module" (or install files and call "cpanm --installdeps .")

Having cpanm with perl by default would definitely increase usability of perl and perl applications. Also cpanfiles are much easier to understand than for instance Makfile.PL.

Cheers
Jakob