Re: metaconfig source control/distribution and Debian's DFSG

From:
Raphael_Manfredi
Date:
October 12, 2014 08:06
Re: metaconfig source control/distribution and Debian's DFSG
Message ID:
m1dcqf$pg6$1@tours.ram.loc
Quoting Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> from ml.lang.perl.porters:
:So one way to make crossing Perl more feasible is to reduce the effort
:of maintaining the Configure results and one way to reduce that effort
:is to reduce the number of checks that need to execute host[2] arch
:code.  Indeed, there is very much low hanging fruit here. Checks such as
:the *size checks or d_open3 and o_nonblock can be turned into
:compile-only checks (i.e. without running host[2] arch code). Since the
:*size checks are very much repetitive, it seemed natural to me that
:modifying metaconfig is the way to go. Once a good portion of these
:checks is turned into compile-only checks, the remaining checks may
:become maintainable enabling reasonable cross compilation.

If cross-building is your main motivation, you should look at the route
dist-3.5 has taken where we started to compile-and-run things to determine
the size of various entities, the byte order, etc...  We just locally
compile, so using the cross-compiler is enough to determine the value we
are seeking to compute.

Not all the dist-3.5 units are cross-compile "safe" (so to speak) and I know
there are lots of divergence between the plain dist-3.5's units and Perl's
units, but it may be interesting to look at what we have been trying to do
in dist-3.5 and replicate that in Perl.

Raphael