Con join skip stringifying its separator?

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
October 11, 2014 08:34
Subject:
Con join skip stringifying its separator?
Message ID:
20141011083453.4772.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Currently, even with one item in its list, join($sep, $list) will
stringify the separator.  Is it acceptable to change this such that
$sep does not get stringified in that case (for the sake of optimisa-
tions)?  We don't promise this anywhere, do we?

(As a case in point, s/// may or may not evaluate the rhs multiple
times.  Only undef and tied values exhibit the difference.  We pick
one or the other based on what optimisations are possible, and it has
changed between versions.)