[perl #122905] pod2html crash on Linux

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
October 11, 2014 02:12
Subject:
[perl #122905] pod2html crash on Linux
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-12829-1412993515-1102.122905-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Oct 06 06:13:42 2014, shell_way@foxmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for your reply very much. I already installed modules you
> mention‍ed. In my Arch, site_perl/HTML/Parser.pm‍,
> site_perl/HTML/Entities.pm‍ and core_perl/Pod/Simple/XHTML.pm‍ is
> already exsist.
>
> I tryed to make sure if I installed them:
> $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::Parser; install HTML::Entities;
> install Pod::Simple::XHTML'‍
> Then got the message:
> Reading '/root/.cpan/Metadata'
>   Database was generated on Mon, 06 Oct 2014 00:17:02 GMT
> HTML::Parser is up to date (3.71).
> HTML::Entities is up to date (3.69).
> Pod::Simple::XHTML is up to date (3.28).‍
>
> But, when I run this command in Arch with perl version v5.20.1:
> $ perl -MHTML::Parser -MHTML::Entities -MPod::Simple::XHTML‍
> perl has crashed with message:
> [1]    5308 segmentation fault (core dumped)  perl -MHTML::Parser
> -MHTML::Entities -MPod::Simple::XHTML‍
> Becase of this, pod2html can not work in my Arch.‍ And, very strange,
> it is all ok in my Slackware 14.1 with perl version v5.18.1‍, it is
> work well to order input from STDIN.
> The version of these modules are same in my Slackware and Arch.
>
> I run perl debuger, then got the message:
> Signal SEGV at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/HTML‍/Parser.pm line 17.‍
> Line 17 of Parser.pm is:
> XSLoader::load('HTML::Parser', $VERSION);‍
> But neither XSLoader or HTML::Parse‍r has up to date.
>
> So I think it not the bug of pod2html  but a bug for something other.
> I am not sure about that.

As Dave Mitchell commented above:
####
"so I guess something's going wrong either loading the XS object, or executing its BOOT section. My initial suspicion would be .so file that hasn't been built or installed correctly. To the OP: are you using the vendor's perl, and how was HTML::Parser installed?
#####

Since I suspect you're using CPAN.pm to install modules, see if forcing a re-installation of the HTML-Parser distribution will resolve the problem.

In the 'cpan' shell, say:
#####
force install HTML-Parser
#####