[perl #121984] newSVpvf slow in perl 5.20.0

From:
Tony Cook via RT
Date:
October 8, 2014 02:38
Subject:
[perl #121984] newSVpvf slow in perl 5.20.0
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-17709-1412735881-492.121984-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Jun 05 14:03:56 2014, greg.lindahl wrote:
> Thanks. I agree that your example does not reproduce my actual
> problem... it's more subtle.
>
> I started wading into the test. It's a single test of our text
> tokenization code that sees the problem, on a long string which
> generates many short tokens. The newSVpvf call usually takes 1,200 cpu
> cycles for short strings, but at the start of this test it takes
> 300,000 cpu cycles (yes, on the same short strings) and then slowly
> falls back to 1,200 cpu cycles by the end of this single test. I need
> to walk up the call stack and see what kind of loop is involved.
>
> (Thank you for the attempt at reproducer code, I don't know enough XS
> to have set that up!)

Are you able to provide more detailed instructions for reproducing this problem?

Or should I close the ticket?

Tony

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open