Re: metaconfig source control/distribution and Debian's DFSG

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
September 29, 2014 17:33
Re: metaconfig source control/distribution and Debian's DFSG
Message ID:
20140929173341.GA21809@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 08:34:58AM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 21:07:59 -0400, Andy Dougherty
> <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:16:32PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The Debian project has recently received a bug report indicating that
> > > the perl source package we distribute does not comply the the DFSG[1]
> > > since the preferred form of modification of Configure is not provided.
> > > You can see the bug report at [2].

One final follow-up:  Debian is certainly welcome to distribute the
files used to build Configure.  The following two items would be needed:

    1.  The precise version of dist used.  This can be obtained here:

        http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/H/HM/HMBRAND/perl-meta-3.5-20.tgz

    2.  The custom metaconfig units used.  These are available here:

        git://perl5.git.perl.org/metaconfig.git

Rebuilding Configure would not be easy or automatic, but all the necessary
files would be available.  Would that satisfy the Debian guidelines?

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu