Re: RFC: implementing script runs

From:
Abigail
Date:
September 29, 2014 08:59
Re: RFC: implementing script runs
Message ID:
20140929085916.GA20115@almanda.fritz.box
On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 05:06:37PM +0200, Leon Timmermans wrote:

> I agree this feature is desirable, I disagree this is a desirable syntax.
> For a moment I thought about a \i+ that means "multiple characters of the
> same script, but then I realized it may be more sensible to have a \w\j*,
> where j means "character of the previous alphabet". I suppose this this
> allows for various variations wrt Inherited and Common characters too.

In a recent, private communication with Yves, I remarked that we only
have 11 \X's (where X is any ASCII letter) unassigned and hence, we should
be very carefully when assigning meaning to the ones left, and don't use
it for a feature that won't be used a lot.

Or not use for something where alternative syntax is available. Since it's
about matching characters with certain properties, instead of \i or \j,
one could also use \p? For instance, \w\p{:PREVIOUS_SCRIPT}* .

Abigail