Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
September 26, 2014 08:57
Re: [perl #122853] Guarantee 0-9, A-Z, a-z character classes
Message ID:
CAMoYMM-ByXz3yz8ooK-m6_a7zfEhd3PVJ2z=9y1viC58AyOK4Q@mail.gmail.com
On 26 September 2014 10:49, Ed Avis <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> This bug report is to request that Perl guarantee in its documentation
> the following equivalences:
>
>    [A-Z]    [ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ]
>    [a-z]    [abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz]
>    [0-9]    [0123456789]
>
> If the EBCDIC port is still active, then some programming work might
> be needed to make sure these ranges do as documented on EBCDIC.

Actually perlebcdic documents those special cases already ([0-9] not
being a problem there):

=head1 REGULAR EXPRESSION DIFFERENCES

As of perl 5.005_03 the letter range regular expressions such as
[A-Z] and [a-z] have been especially coded to not pick up gap
characters.  For example, characters such as E<ocirc> C<o WITH CIRCUMFLEX>
that lie between I and J would not be matched by the
regular expression range C</[H-K]/>. [...]