Re: [perl #121392] use VERSION MODULE should not be considered legal

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
September 25, 2014 09:40
Re: [perl #121392] use VERSION MODULE should not be considered legal
Message ID:
20140925094041.GA36369@plasmasturm.org
* Abigail <abigail@abigail.be> [2014-09-25 11:00]:
> But what do we gain if we start forbidding it now? No doubt there's
> already code out there that does "use VERSION MODULE;", either on
> purpose, because the author was confused, or someone made a mistake.

It does not fix existing code but would improve not-yet-written code.
Which is always the point of tension in such matters.

> I'm with bulk88 on this one; since it's DWIM, my vote is to keep it.
> (And then we may want to add a test, and document it).

My vote too.

But document it as discouraged, IMO. Not just because it is bad to use
the construct, but also: while there is no need to break anyone’s code
now, the syntax seems fairly likely to complicate or block new features
for `use`. Should that ever occur, it should not cause huge controversy
at that time to deprecate it. And that requires keeping usage low now.