Re: [perl #121392] use VERSION MODULE should not be consideredlegal

From:
Abigail
Date:
September 25, 2014 08:56
Re: [perl #121392] use VERSION MODULE should not be consideredlegal
Message ID:
20140925085620.GA15111@almanda.fritz.box
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:35:37PM -0400, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * bulk88 via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-09-24T21:42:18]
> > On Tue Sep 23 18:36:36 2014, jkeenan wrote:
> > >
> > > This ticket has not generated any discussion since it was file 6+
> > > months ago.  Comments?
> >
> > I'd keep it since it is DWIM.
>
> I'd see it removed for the opposite reason:  I don't think anyone who writes
> "use 2.0 Moose" means anything other than "I am confused or trying to confuse."

But what do we gain if we start forbidding it now? No doubt there's
already code out there that does "use VERSION MODULE;", either on
purpose, because the author was confused, or someone made a mistake.

I'm with bulk88 on this one; since it's DWIM, my vote is to keep it.
(And then we may want to add a test, and document it).

Abigail