Re: [perl #20510] lvalue references would be nice

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
September 22, 2014 22:22
Re: [perl #20510] lvalue references would be nice
Message ID:
20140922222233.GA450@cancer.codesimply.com
* Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-09-21T16:35:33]
> If *Other::x = \$y sets the imported flag, should \$Other::x = \$y do the
> same?

Boy, that's a good question!

When I started thinking, I thought yes.  I convinced myself otherwise.

\$x = \$y has, in this hypothetical future, a clear meaning.  Having it turn on
the imported flag muddies its behavior.  I can think of it causing, but not
alleviating, confusion.  If the mark-imported is desired, it can be gotten in a
separate, explicit step... and I can imagine not always desiring it.

Do you see some real value that I am missing?

--
rjbs