Re: CPAN smokes and [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requires explicit package' error message

From:
Andreas Koenig
Date:
September 20, 2014 11:03
Re: CPAN smokes and [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requires explicit package' error message
Message ID:
87mw9uy2o4.fsf@k85.linux.bogus

  > On 09/18/2014 11:13 PM, Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
 >> On Thu Sep 18 18:16:49 2014, aristotle wrote:
 >>> * Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-09-16 22:50]:
 >>>
 >>> Yes please! This sounds worth a shot.
 >>
 >> Added in d8c6310a4f.  This ticket is resolved.  Let’s see how much of CPAN this breaks. :-)
 >>

  > While you were off-list earlier this year, we decided to avoid using
  > blead as a CPAN smoker for things we suspect are likely to break it.

  > Andreas makes it look like it's easy to have these smokes, almost like
  > they are entirely automated.  But they aren't fully so.  Each breakage
  > adds work for him, and we shouldn't take his efforts for granted.  His
  > work is a significant contribution to the success of perl 5
  > development, but he does it so well and mostly behind the scenes that
  > it's easy to forget that it is a significant amount of work,
  > especially when there are breakages.

Thank you, Karl, for chiming in! But reality is: at the moment
*everything goes* as far as my statistics are concerned. Perl 5.21 is in
such a bad shape with regard to smoking that I supposedly catch
something from time to time only by pure luck.

I haven't given up and we had similar bad phases in previous bleadperl
development, so not everything is necessarily lost. FC usually has a
sterling record of patching CPAN distros that break due to blead fixes,
so I endorse his breakages.

I still ask for everybody's best effort to not just try things out on
trunk when there are chances to try thing out elsewhere. I also ask for
maximum backwards compatibility when possible, it will help to get an
acceptable 5.22.0.

Thanks for listening, please goto coding:)
--
andreas