Re: What should NV_PRESERVES_UV et al be set to for USE_LONG_DOUBLEbuilds with MinGW?

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
September 20, 2014 00:59
Re: What should NV_PRESERVES_UV et al be set to for USE_LONG_DOUBLEbuilds with MinGW?
Message ID:
CADED=K6aC==iCe3GDjo05u=LzeLJdH=rM-A3nhpS_dBik6LBog@mail.gmail.com
On 20 September 2014 00:47,  <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: Steve Hay
> Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2014 3:08 AM
>
>> So for 64-bit-int builds I think we're agreed on
>>
>> NV_OVERFLOWS_INTEGERS_AT = 2 ** 53 without long doubles
>> NV_OVERFLOWS_INTEGERS_AT = 2 ** 64 with long doubles
>>
>> but for 32-bit-int builds I'm not sure if they should be the same as
>> that or both be 2 ** 32 (although it's currently 2 ** 53 for the
>> current 32-bit-int builds, i.e. without long doubles).
>

> I can't readily build a relevant 32-bit int with long double perl on either
> of my linux boxes, but I can confirm that 32-bit int with double sets
> nv_overflows_integers_at to 2 **53.

Ok, that tallies with what win32 has for existing 32-bit-int builds,
so I guess it's probably right.

> (That's on a Debian box with gcc-4.6.3. The long double on that box is a
> double-double, which would make comparisons with Windows irrelevant.
> I don't know how to force 32-bit integer build on the Ubuntu box - it just
> uses 'long' by default for the ivtype, and 'long' is 64 bits.
> So, although the ivtype is 64 bits, there's no mention of "64int" in
> $Config{archname}. On Windows, of course, the 64 bit ivtype is 'long long',
> but I don't see how that difference should have any bearing on these
> configuration settings.)
>
>> And I've still not found the cause of the "Invalid version format" :-/
>

> I take it this is what it appears to be - ie a complaint that some version
> number has an unacceptable format ?
> And it happens on the 64-bit long double build, but not the 32-bit long
> double build ?

I've only been trying 32-bit-int long-double builds so far, but I just
tried 64-bit-int long-double and that fails just the same.

>> What compiler is your 64int-ld Ubuntu build which you checked these
>> settings in made with? Is it gcc or something more exotic? (I'm using
>> MinGW-w64's native x86 compiler, version 4.8.0.)
>

> gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
> Sorry, I should've mentioned that. If using a different breed of compiler,
> the relevance of what my linux boxes do would be questionable.
>
> Have you pinged kmx about this ? (I think it's likely he would have
> something helpful to contribute if he was aware of your endeavours.)

I haven't; I assumed he's probably reading this anyway, but I will ask
to make sure...