Re: What should NV_PRESERVES_UV et al be set to for USE_LONG_DOUBLE builds with MinGW?

From:
sisyphus1
Date:
September 19, 2014 23:48
Re: What should NV_PRESERVES_UV et al be set to for USE_LONG_DOUBLE builds with MinGW?
Message ID:
8D3FF59DD4FD47A4A090286728D36566@OwnerPC311012
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hay
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2014 3:08 AM

> So for 64-bit-int builds I think we're agreed on
>
> NV_OVERFLOWS_INTEGERS_AT = 2 ** 53 without long doubles
> NV_OVERFLOWS_INTEGERS_AT = 2 ** 64 with long doubles
>
> but for 32-bit-int builds I'm not sure if they should be the same as
> that or both be 2 ** 32 (although it's currently 2 ** 53 for the
> current 32-bit-int builds, i.e. without long doubles).

I can't readily build a relevant 32-bit int with long double perl on either
of my linux boxes, but I can confirm that 32-bit int with double sets
nv_overflows_integers_at to 2 **53.
(That's on a Debian box with gcc-4.6.3. The long double on that box is a
double-double, which would make comparisons with Windows irrelevant.
I don't know how to force 32-bit integer build on the Ubuntu box - it just
uses 'long' by default for the ivtype, and 'long' is 64 bits.
So, although the ivtype is 64 bits, there's no mention of "64int" in
$Config{archname}. On Windows, of course, the 64 bit ivtype is 'long long',
but I don't see how that difference should have any bearing on these
configuration settings.)

> And I've still not found the cause of the "Invalid version format" :-/

I take it this is what it appears to be - ie a complaint that some version
number has an unacceptable format ?
And it happens on the 64-bit long double build, but not the 32-bit long
double build ?

> What compiler is your 64int-ld Ubuntu build which you checked these
> settings in made with? Is it gcc or something more exotic? (I'm using
> MinGW-w64's native x86 compiler, version 4.8.0.)

gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
Sorry, I should've mentioned that. If using a different breed of compiler,
the relevance of what my linux boxes do would be questionable.

Have you pinged kmx about this ? (I think it's likely he would have
something helpful to contribute if he was aware of your endeavours.)

Cheers,
Rob