CPAN smokes and [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requiresexplicit package' error message

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
September 19, 2014 17:04
Subject:
CPAN smokes and [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requiresexplicit package' error message
Message ID:
541C6205.7040305@khwilliamson.com
On 09/18/2014 11:13 PM, Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
> On Thu Sep 18 18:16:49 2014, aristotle wrote:
>> * Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-09-16 22:50]:
>>> I think I have an easy way out for now. Do what we did for ‘Can’t
>>> locate Rheubarbarum/Rheubarbarorum.pm in @INC’. Simply add ‘(Did you
>>> forget to declare "my $rhubarb"?)’.
>>
>> Yes please! This sounds worth a shot.
>
> Added in d8c6310a4f.  This ticket is resolved.  Let’s see how much of CPAN this breaks. :-)

While you were off-list earlier this year, we decided to avoid using
blead as a CPAN smoker for things we suspect are likely to break it.

Andreas makes it look like it's easy to have these smokes, almost like
they are entirely automated.  But they aren't fully so.  Each breakage
adds work for him, and we shouldn't take his efforts for granted.  His
work is a significant contribution to the success of perl 5 development,
but he does it so well and mostly behind the scenes that it's easy to
forget that it is a significant amount of work, especially when there
are breakages.

But we need to get CPAN smokes more easy to do.  I tried one, on this
very issue, and it took my recent, fast PC more than a week to
accomplish, and I'm uncertain about the results.  It's not an area that
I have any expertise in, and so would require too much effort for me to
delve into.

Dromedary should be available to do cpan smokes, but last I knew it
didn't have enough spare disk space.  Steffen said that was fixable, but
I don't know that it has happened yet.