Re: [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requires explicitpackage' error message

From:
Karen Etheridge
Date:
September 16, 2014 23:34
Re: [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requires explicitpackage' error message
Message ID:
20140916233412.GE38886@tequila
On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 06:54:08PM -0400, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> Sigh.  I'm flashing back to when we added a period to Carp's output.
>
> I would like to improve this error message, but I think that if we do it by
> only updating the string, we're going to suffer quite a bit.
>
> This is something that could be governed by a pragma, at least until such time
> as there is a better way to identify internal errors.  Although I am not
> thrilled at a proliferation of pragmata for things such as this, I think it may
> be better in the long run.

pragma: ew, please let's not.
better way to identify internal errors: yes please!  my mental image is
something like $! and %! for system errors: an integer code which
stringifies (locale-aware) as needed, so programs need only identify the
error by its numeric code (and associated constant), not its stringification.