Re: [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requires explicitpackage' error message

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
September 15, 2014 22:54
Re: [perl #121638] 'Global symbol "$identifier" requires explicitpackage' error message
Message ID:
20140915225408.GG6303@cancer.codesimply.com
* Karl Williamson via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-08-22T16:10:18]
> I tried a CPAN smoke of changing this message.  The high level results are
> attached as the first file.
>
> If I look at the failures, the ones which have the changed wording in their
> test output amount to 130 distinct distributions.  The second attachment is
> an example of an expected failure there.

Sigh.  I'm flashing back to when we added a period to Carp's output.

I would like to improve this error message, but I think that if we do it by
only updating the string, we're going to suffer quite a bit.

This is something that could be governed by a pragma, at least until such time
as there is a better way to identify internal errors.  Although I am not
thrilled at a proliferation of pragmata for things such as this, I think it may
be better in the long run.

The down side is that now new users will only get the helpful error message if
they have done 'use v5.24', or the like, which is a pretty hefty down side.

Anybody have a great idea?

--
rjbs