Re: Versioned 'strict'

From:
Smylers
Date:
September 11, 2014 19:16
Re: Versioned 'strict'
Message ID:
20140911191550.GA2684@stripey.com
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans writes:

> I live in eternal hope that one day, one day, we'll get around to
> implementing in core some more strictness flags than the current
> ancient set of three (vars, subs, refs).
>
> ... it would be nice some day in a few years time to be able to
>
>   use v5.30;
>   use strict ':v5.30';
>
> and have a bunch more strictnesses that that entails,

Why wouldn't this:

 use v5.30;

suffice?

Somebody who's specifically asked for v5.30 could get the new
strictures without breaking backwards compatibility.

This has already changed once, with use v5.12 already turning on strict,
so it doesn't seem implausible for a higher version number to turn on
additional strictness, should any additional strictness be deemed A Good
Thing by P5P.

And if a potential additional stricture isn't deemed sufficiently A Good
Thing to be enabled by default with the version number, what's the
advantage in it being turned on by:

  use strict qw<:v5.30>;

rather than:

  no stringification;

or similar? The latter is easier to remember than which version made
which stricture available.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2