[perl #121975] COW speedup lost after e8c6a474

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
September 8, 2014 05:57
Subject:
[perl #121975] COW speedup lost after e8c6a474
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-17812-1410155828-515.121975-15-0@perl.org
On Thu May 29 02:12:26 2014, demerphq wrote:
> Obviously you *could* raise these thresholds, for instance to 4000 and this
> script should be "fast" again.
>
> However I think the real problem we need to get to the bottom of is why it
> is preallocating so much extra space on the slow builds.

How about making the threshold a percentage, rather than a fixed number of bytes?

> Regardless I feel like there is a bit of a clash of concepts here that we
> need to think through properly before COW is really going to settle down.

Well, at least 5.20 was no slower than 5.18 in that case, and faster in others. :-)

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open