develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2014

pod2man issue

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
August 27, 2014 06:53
Subject:
pod2man issue
Message ID:
20140827085335.4262c800@pc09.procura.nl
$ cat example.pod
=head1 example

This is a simple  paragraph,  where some  words (accidentally  or on
purpose)  have more than  one space between them,  possibly to align
the right side of the text in the pod source too.   Some people like
it that way.

 This is an indented paragraph
 which  is documented  to be  preformatted, so
 I  expect  the double  spaces to stay.

=cut

$ pod2text example.pod
example
    This is a simple paragraph, where some words (accidentally or on
    purpose) have more than one space between them, possibly to align the
    right side of the text in the pod source too. Some people like it that
    way.

     This is an indented paragraph
     which  is documented  to be  preformatted, so
     I  expect  the double  spaces to stay.

That is perfectly fine

$ pod2man example.pod|nroff -mandoc
EXAMPLE(1)            User Contributed Perl Documentation           EXAMPLE(1)

example
       This is a simple  paragraph,  where some  words (accidentally  or on
       purpose)  have more than  one space between them,  possibly to align
       the right side of the text in the pod source too.   Some people like it
       that way.

        This is an indented paragraph
        which  is documented  to be  preformatted, so
        I  expect  the double  spaces to stay.

perl v5.20.0                      2014-08-27                        EXAMPLE(1)

That is not OK. All the double spaces in the regular section are kept
double. WHY?

using perl5.00307 .. 5.19   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE