develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2014

Re: [perl #121839] Outdated documentation in perlopentut

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
Re: [perl #121839] Outdated documentation in perlopentut
Message ID:
3616.1409020239@chthon
Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote
   on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 20:55:40 BST:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 05:32:06PM -0700, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
>> Where is the text you are citing found?
>>
>> I searched in both perl 5.16 -- the version you used to generate the
>> bug report -- and in blead and I could not find these texts anywhere,
>> much less in pod/perlopentut.pod.

> It's present up to 5.19.2:

>     =head2 The Minus File

>     Again following the lead of the standard shell utilities, Perl's
>     C<open> function treats a file whose name is a single minus, "-", in a
>     special way.  If you open minus for reading, it really means to access
>     the standard input.  If you open minus for writing, it really means to
>     access the standard output.

> After which it was removed with this commit:

>     commit b25a8b16a0df7e9516919b58acaed4610ca963a2
>     Author:     Tom Christiansen <tchrist@perl.com>
>     AuthorDate: Fri Jul 12 10:20:36 2013 -0400
>     Commit:     Ricardo Signes <rjbs@cpan.org>
>     CommitDate: Tue Jul 23 21:25:54 2013 -0700

>         Don't patch perlopentut: rewrite it completely

Yes, Ricardo kindly checked in the brief rewrite I did of perlopentut
last year, the one I wrote with the aim of making that manpage much
shorter and clearer, hitting the important points and omitting esotoric
trivia.  Minus was one of those (many, many) bits I decided was not
core knowledge crucial for a new learner to know when first starting.

The old one was more of of FMTEYEWTK about I/O than a tut, so the name
was always a bit off anyway.

The minus thing is of course still in perlfunc's open entry, since
that sort of reference doc needs to be exhaustive in detail, however
painful that should be.  It's certainly the longest function description
in the Camel's chapter on functions, covering I-dunno-how-many pages.

> So I guess the ticket can be closed.

I should think so.

thanks,

--tom