develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2014

[perl #122547] no_chidr find() option in t/porting/dual-life.t

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 25, 2014 12:09
Subject:
[perl #122547] no_chidr find() option in t/porting/dual-life.t
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-32181-1408968548-1067.122547-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Aug 24 19:36:36 2014, sprout wrote:
> On Sun Aug 24 18:58:14 2014, perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org wrote:
> > * James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-08-
> > 19T18:45:53]
> > > Rik, Peter,
> > >
> > > Could you evaluate this patch, particularly whether you think there's
> > > any
> > > downstream risk?
> > >
> > > If you like it, you can merge it and include it in the monthly
> > > release.
> >
> > Here is my concern:  what this is likely to break is:
> >
> > Some sysadmin wrote a program 15 years ago that typos "untaint" or
> > "bydepth,"
> > when neither setting was really important for the program working.
> > So, it
> > worked, but now it will just crash.
> >
> > This won't even show up on a CPAN smoke.  It will just break when the
> > unsuspecting sysadmin upgrades their system perl.
> >
> > This makes me think we might be better off replacing the die with a
> > warn.
> >
> > Anybody else?
>
> I agree.  We also have precedent with overload arguments.

Okay, I will change the 'die' to a 'warn' and adjust the tests accordingly.  I will not get to this until Aug 28, so if anyone else wants to make the necessary adjustments in the patch, proceed.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open