develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2014

[perl #122547] no_chidr find() option in t/porting/dual-life.t

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 25, 2014 02:36
Subject:
[perl #122547] no_chidr find() option in t/porting/dual-life.t
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-2527-1408934196-1173.122547-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Aug 24 18:58:14 2014, perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org wrote:
> * James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-08-
> 19T18:45:53]
> > Rik, Peter,
> >
> > Could you evaluate this patch, particularly whether you think there's
> > any
> > downstream risk?
> >
> > If you like it, you can merge it and include it in the monthly
> > release.
>
> Here is my concern:  what this is likely to break is:
>
> Some sysadmin wrote a program 15 years ago that typos "untaint" or
> "bydepth,"
> when neither setting was really important for the program working.
> So, it
> worked, but now it will just crash.
>
> This won't even show up on a CPAN smoke.  It will just break when the
> unsuspecting sysadmin upgrades their system perl.
>
> This makes me think we might be better off replacing the die with a
> warn.
>
> Anybody else?

I agree.  We also have precedent with overload arguments.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open