develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2014

Re: [perl #122547] no_chidr find() option in t/porting/dual-life.t

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: [perl #122547] no_chidr find() option in t/porting/dual-life.t
Message ID:
20140825015742.GB8553@cancer.codesimply.com
* James E Keenan via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2014-08-19T18:45:53]
> Rik, Peter,
>
> Could you evaluate this patch, particularly whether you think there's any
> downstream risk?
>
> If you like it, you can merge it and include it in the monthly release.

Here is my concern:  what this is likely to break is:

  Some sysadmin wrote a program 15 years ago that typos "untaint" or "bydepth,"
  when neither setting was really important for the program working.  So, it
  worked, but now it will just crash.

This won't even show up on a CPAN smoke.  It will just break when the
unsuspecting sysadmin upgrades their system perl.

This makes me think we might be better off replacing the die with a warn.

Anybody else?

--
rjbs