develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2014

[OT] Dirty YAPC::2013 money [was: NWCLARK TPF grant report #102]

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
August 17, 2014 05:03
Subject:
[OT] Dirty YAPC::2013 money [was: NWCLARK TPF grant report #102]
Message ID:
20140817050331.GA26325@plasmasturm.org
Hi Nicholas,

* Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> [2013-10-03 15:45]:
> It turns out that it's quite hard to change Ukrainian Hryvnia back
> into your local currency. Apparently you need to get a special form to
> do it, which seems to be about as common as a Ryanair refund.

I assume that the intervening events have not made it any easier.

> Given that quite a few of us aren't that likely to return to Ukraine
> any time soon, it implies that there's quite a lot of paper money
> sitting around various Perl monger's desks, drawers etc, not earning
> its keep. For each individual it's not much in value, but I suspect
> that all together it adds up to a few thousand Pounds/Euros/Dollars
> etc. Meanwhile, the Ukrainian central bank is very happy about all
> currency it got in return for selling us its not particularly pretty
> bits of paper.*
>
> So I thought that it would be a good idea if we put the notes
> carefully to one side, and then all took them to Sophia next year,
> where at YAPC::Europe 2014 someone from Kiev can come with a big
> bucket, collect the money, and take it back to do useful things with
> it.
>
> Otherwise the central bankers win. And we don't want that. :-(

I wonder, what with the situation and all, whether that would still
work?

I have been keeping this email around in order to remember this when the
time came. This call needs broadcasting somewhere(s) with more reach if
it is to happen successfully.

In any case I’ll be bringing my 70 along.

Regards,