develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2014

Re: Encode vs. JSON

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: Encode vs. JSON
Message ID:
20140718075643.GB31076@plasmasturm.org
Hi David,

* David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> [2014-07-18 08:40]:
> On Jul 17, 2014, at 10:19 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
> > Which suggests that, according to [Corrigendum
> > 9](http://www.unicode.org/versions/corrigendum9.html), reserved
> > non-characters now *are* allowed to appear in a UTF-8 string. Which
> > makes me think I will never be able to get the Java server to clean
> > up its act. Should Perl, Encode, and JSON relax things a bit with
> > regard to these characters, then?
>
> Actually, now that I think about it, it seems that JSON on Perl 5.14
> and higher has already relaxed that distinction. It’s only Encode that
> is still strict about non-characters.

there is a ticket about that:
https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=121937

* David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> [2014-07-18 07:20]:
> On Jul 17, 2014, at 8:00 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Why does JSON go from rejecting to accepting the string if you go
> > from 5.12 to 5.14? That, I have no idea about. (Or maybe it is goes
> > from one to the other based on the version of JSON; you haven’t
> > specified whether you have the same version of it installed in your
> > 5.12 vs 5.14 perls.)
>
> I used JSON 2.90 and JSON::XS 3.01 in all my tests.

So that leaves the question open as it was: why does JSON.pm exhibit one
behaviour under 5.12 and another under 5.14?

Regards,