develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2014

Re: Encode vs. JSON

From:
David E. Wheeler
Date:
Re: Encode vs. JSON
Message ID:
EA0B2C54-A799-487D-A720-2FD036D011F7@justatheory.com
On Jul 17, 2014, at 10:19 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:

> Which suggests that, according to [Corrigendum 9](http://www.unicode.org/versions/corrigendum9.html), reserved non-characters now *are* allowed to appear in a UTF-8 string. Which makes me think I will never be able to get the Java server to clean up its act. Should Perl, Encode, and JSON relax things a bit with regard to these characters, then?

Actually, now that I think about it, it seems that JSON on Perl 5.14 and higher has already relaxed that distinction. It’s only Encode that is still strict about non-characters.

Best,

David