develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2014

[perl #121025] printf warns about too few arguments, but not too many

From:
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason via RT
Date:
June 21, 2014 20:45
Subject:
[perl #121025] printf warns about too few arguments, but not too many
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-28970-1403359413-1354.121025-15-0@perl.org
On lau 18 jan 12:16:52 2014, davem wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 07:01:21PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
> > Nice.  I like this warning.
>
> Me too. Although I think it should go into blead just after 5.20 is
> released, rather than now; I think it'd going to kick up a lot of dust
> and we'll want to give CPAN module owners maximum lead time to fix up
> their code. For example, if its generating warnings in cpan/ code in
> blead, then we need those module authors to fix their code, produce
> stable new releases, pull them back into blead, and let them bed in
> before we start pushing out 5.20 RC candidates.

I've just pushed the patch to split up the "missing" category in 3664866, and the patch to add warnings about redundant printf arguments in 4077a6b.

We don't have any support for splitting out "extra" warning as discussed in this thread, a friend of mine picked up my patch series for that in https://github.com/andreasgudmundsson/perl5/commits/avar/printf-too-many-arguments and made it work, but I haven't yet reviewed it in any detail. In any case I don't have a use case for any new warning that isn't part of "all", although depending on how 4077a6b smokes on the CPAN we might want to split it out into such a category.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open