develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2014

Re: [perl #24541] substr and utf8 and use bytes

From:
Bill Ward
Date:
May 21, 2014 06:51
Re: [perl #24541] substr and utf8 and use bytes
Message ID:
960ef8cb-444c-4a80-b5ac-d1897a9cfb4e@default
OK by me.

----- Original Message -----
From: perlbug-followup@perl.org
To: william.ward@oracle.com
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 9:13:16 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [perl #24541] substr and utf8 and use bytes

This ticket has languished for 10 1/2 years.  In the meantime, my experiments show that blead now behaves like 5.6 in regards to the truncation of a utf8 string with a non-one when within the scope of use bytes, which is one of the things the OP wanted.  (I did not bisect to see when this change happened.)  In looking at the outputs of 5.6 vs blead, I believe that blead is acting correctly.

I'm taking this ticket with the intent to close it after 30 days unless someone has a reasonable objection.

--
Karl Williamson