develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2014

[Encode] 2.59 released!

From:
Dan Kogai
Date:
April 6, 2014 18:13
Subject:
[Encode] 2.59 released!
Message ID:
2B645B35-C04F-49B6-BC5E-23F6DD837FF3@dan.co.jp
Porters,

Just $Encode::VERSION++'ed.

On 29 Mar 2014, at 03:26 , Reini Urban <reini.urban@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks. Unfortunately, this has just missed the boat for 5.20, which
>> is now in full code freeze:
>>
>> http://grokbase.com/t/perl/perl5-porters/143r1dnvnf/bleadfreeze
>>
>> Unless the change cited above can be argued to fix a would-be blocker
>> then the update will have to wait for 5.21.0 at the end of May.
>
> It’s not a blocker, it’s a feature for which I have a workaround for older releases also.
> Just a nice to have. 5.21 is ok.

That was rather fortunate that 2.58 came too late for Perl 5.20 since the workaround in
https://github.com/dankogai/p5-encode/pull/20 turned out be not working.  it broke Encode::XX CPAN modules with *.ucm files

The problem was pull/20 changed the signature of Encode_XSEncoding().  While it is okay for modules bundled w/ Encode.pm, Existing Encode::XX modules only knows the old signature.

=head1 Availability

git clone git://github.com/dankogai/p5-encode.git
http://www.dan.co.jp/~dankogai/cpan/Encode-2.59.tar.gz
and CPAN near you.

Travis is all green:
https://travis-ci.org/dankogai/p5-encode

=head1 CPAN index

 User: DANKOGAI ()
 Distribution file: Encode-2.59.tar.gz
 Number of files: 208
 *.pm files: 26
 README: Encode-2.59/README
 META-File: Encode-2.59/META.json
 META-Parser: Parse::CPAN::Meta 1.4404
 META-driven index: no
 Timestamp of file: Sun Apr  6 17:41:19 2014 UTC
 Time of this run: Sun Apr  6 17:43:10 2014 UTC

=head1 Changes

$Revision: 2.59 $ $Date: 2014/04/06 17:23:55 $
! Byte/Makefile.PL
  CN/Makefile.PL
  EBCDIC/Makefile.PL
  Encode.pm
  Encode.xs
  Encode/Makefile_PL.e2x
  JP/Makefile.PL
  KR/Makefile.PL
  Symbol/Makefile.PL
  TW/Makefile.PL
  bin/enc2xs
  Restored the signature of Encode_XSEncoding() to address RT#94478
  * While https://github.com/dankogai/p5-encode/pull/20
    pulls the symnames via argument thus breaks the compatibility
    with Encode::XX modules with *.ucm, the restored version
    pulls the symanmes via enc->name[0] so the added 2nd argument
    is no longer needed.

=head1 AUTHOR

Dan the Encode Maintainer