develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2014

Re: [perl #121230] process group kill on Win32 broken in 5.17.2,regression 5.18

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 18, 2014 12:46
Re: [perl #121230] process group kill on Win32 broken in 5.17.2,regression 5.18
Message ID:
20140318134630.487eafa3@pc09.procura.nl
On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 13:15:11 +0100, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The difference in parsing time between single and double quotes strings is
> > infinitesimal
>
> IMO there is no point in worrying about these kind of things unless
> the string is very long.

And not even then. I benched it years ago on several machines, and all
bench results are in line-noise margins and differ per architecture.
IIRC all big-endian boxes I tried on had a <1% preference for double
quotes whereas little-endian boxes prefered single quotes.

Let's just be consistent!

More interesting would be to check if "foo: ".$foo.", bar: ".$bar is
equally fast as "foo: $foo, bar: $bar". Last time I checked, the
interpolated version was faster

using perl5.00307 .. 5.19   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE