develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2014

Re: RFC: add discouragement warning to perl threads documentation

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
March 2, 2014 06:09
Re: RFC: add discouragement warning to perl threads documentation
Message ID:
20140302060924.GA53613@plasmasturm.org
* Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> [2014-03-01 21:50]:
> Feel free to bikeshed or merge. :)

After clarification on IRC about the contentious item I believe you
wanted to say something like this:

  * complex data structures are hard to share properly

    Variables shared between threads needs to be flagged, but there is
    no way to mark complex data structures as shared at once. So it is
    easy to fail to share them completely, which results in hard-to-find
    bugs and exceptions.

(Did I understand correctly that “bugs and exceptions” is what you tried
to say by “crashes”?)

How is that?

Regards,