develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2014

Re: RFC: add discouragement warning to perl threads documentation

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
March 2, 2014 01:20
Re: RFC: add discouragement warning to perl threads documentation
Message ID:
op.xb2lzrgwydyjqt@digitizedsqueak
On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 02:01:36 +0100, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you mean with "threads can crash easily if
> shared data isn't meticulously flagged". On a C >level, threads::shared
> shouldn't segfault [...]  If it does segfault, that is a bug that needs
> to be addressed.
Note: By crash i am talking about any improper program termination, not
just segfault, and also conflating data corruption into it for brevity.
Keep in mind that that warning is meant to inspire fear, not to be
technical reference material. ;)

Specifically though i was thinking of a situation where an incompletely
marked complex data structure is made available to two threads, resulting
in them messing with it at the same time. If that can't happen, please
correct me with suggestions on wording.

> (and in fact, it does use a global lock[1]).
That's not a global lock, but a lock on shared variables. A global lock is
when only one thread can execute at any one time. (See Python.) :)

> Also, asynchronous libraries are only a useful replacement when using
> threads to multiplex IO, when you actually >want to do multiprocessing
> the only alternative is forking (which obviously isn't helpful on
> Windows…)
That is why it says "many situations", not "all situations".

OT: Threads are in my experience actually more stable on windows than on
linux. That said, i'd rather not discuss here what could be used for what.
That would be a fine topic for another thread, which i'd be glad to see
made by you or leonerd, but this one would just be led into the woods by
it.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde