develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2014

[perl #116483] migrate t/ from custom TAP generation

From:
JB via RT
Date:
March 2, 2014 01:03
Subject:
[perl #116483] migrate t/ from custom TAP generation
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-22888-1393719302-1305.116483-15-0@perl.org
On Sat Mar 01 15:27:10 2014, jkeen@verizon.net wrote:
> On 3/1/14 9:01 AM, JB via RT wrote:

> >> The 6 files above all appear to have been "handled", i.e., they were
> >> either converted to using t/test.pl or a comment was added stating
> >> why
> >> they were specifically not converted to t/test.pl.
> >>
> >> Hence, I don't see anything more to be done on this ticket.
> >>
> >> If you disagree with that judgment, please speak up.  Otherwise, I
> >> will close the ticket within 7 days.
> >>
> >> Thank you very much.
> >> Jim Keenan

> > James,
> >
> > I noticed you have "taken" this ticket.  Have you begun working on it
> > yet?  If not I'd like to take it from you.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> On IRC, rjbs asked me to review the status of this ticket.  I didn't
> think anything more needed to be done, so I "took" it mainly so that I
> would see it on my list of tickets and close it on the promised
> schedule.
>
> However, if you think there are other files needing the sort of
> migration away from hand-rolled tests which was the original request,
> please feel free to list those files and then work on them.  If you
> have
> an RT account, you can "take" the ticket as well.
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

Jim,

Sorry for the confusion. I believe I may have misinterpreted something I read in perltodo.

"Tasks that only need Perl knowledge
   Migrate t/ from custom TAP generation
       Many tests below t/ still generate TAP by "hand", rather than using library functions. As    explained in "TESTING" in perlhack, tests in t/ are written in a particular way to test that more complex constructions actually work before using them routinely. Hence they don't use "Test::More", but instead there is an intentionally simpler library, t/test.pl. However, quite a few tests in t/ have not been refactored to use it. Refactoring any of these tests, one at a time, is a useful thing TODO."

I thought the following statement meant swapping t/test.pl out for Test::More.  After reading it again I understand.

"Hence they don't use "Test::More", but instead there is an intentionally simpler library, t/test.pl. However, quite a few tests in t/ have not been refactored to use it."

Jeff

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open