develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2014

Re: lib/locale.t warnings

From:
ilmari
Date:
March 1, 2014 20:00
Re: lib/locale.t warnings
Message ID:
d8j7g8dg05l.fsf@dalvik.ping.uio.no
Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> writes:

>>> and here it is demoed:
>>>
>>>      $ LC_ALL=invalid /bin/sh -c 'echo yes'
>>>      /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (invalid): No such file or directory
>>>      yes
[snip]
> It's interesting that I can't reproduce this on my Ubuntu linux, but it
> shows up on Dromedary.  We of course could skip those tests on certain
> platforms or remove them altogether.

Ubuntu and Debian don't use bash for /bin/sh, they use dash:

$ LC_ALL=invalid /bin/sh -c 'echo yes'
yes
$ LC_ALL=invalid /bin/bash -c 'echo yes'
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (invalid)
yes

--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with