develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2014

Re: [perl #121351] Replace use of PL_statbuf and PL_timesbuf withauto variables

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
March 1, 2014 16:09
Re: [perl #121351] Replace use of PL_statbuf and PL_timesbuf withauto variables
Message ID:
20140301160859.GA22619@plum.flirble.org
On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 02:46:47PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
> Nicholas Clark wrote:
> >I think that we should abolish these two variables, and replace them
> >with local auto variables in functions that use them.
>
> Agreed.
>
> >Given the complete lack of CPAN usage, I'm also not sure whether we
> >should deprecate them, or just remove them.
>
> Just remove them, early in 5.21.  Even if they are used, a year is plenty
> of time for XS authors to make such a trivial change.

Thanks. I'd reached this conclusion too. I don't think that there's much
gain in creating a deprecation warning for something that when changed
breaks as an obvious compile-time hard failure. In that, unlike some
Perl-space changes, in this case no installed running systems can be broken
by the C header change, because you simply can't install what you can't
build.

Nicholas Clark