develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2014

Re: [perl #121274] sv arenas are never freeded

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
February 27, 2014 17:09
Re: [perl #121274] sv arenas are never freeded
Message ID:
20140227170841.GC1615@iabyn.com
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:35:09PM -0800, bulk88 via RT wrote:
> To address what I think will be the response. Processing each data
> file/task in a fork is not a solution. It is a bandaid to a design bug
> in Perl. Perl should be able to goto 1 or 2 GB of memory to process a
> huge data set, then scale back down to, below, 150% of the memory usage
> before the task/data set job began. Not stay at 1 GB or 400% even though
> all variables/data belonging to the task were freed on a PP level.

But that is likely to be almost entirely down to the system's malloc()
implementation rather than perl's SV arena usage.

Yes, perl will keep SV head and bodies around for future use, but it
free()s any PVX() structures etc. If the system's malloc() can consolidate
and unmap() freed chunks, then good for it. But that's outside our
control.

--
My Dad used to say 'always fight fire with fire', which is probably why
he got thrown out of the fire brigade.