develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2014

Re: EBCDIC support is on the chopping block

From:
Brad Gilbert
Date:
February 21, 2014 15:39
Re: EBCDIC support is on the chopping block
Message ID:
CAD2L-T0LhnmeENAhXEdc_019Q506NgTH8AeyetOHKvzemrbgSQ@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:09:56AM -0500, Konovalov, Vadim wrote:
>> > From: Nicholas Clark [mailto:nick@flirble.org] On Behalf Of Nicholas Clark
>> > And we don't even know if it works, because no-one working on the core
>> > has access to these systems, and no-one with these systems is providing
>> > reports.
>>
>> As I said before, situation isn't that hopeless: there is emulator (Hercules)
>> I successfully tried that on my linux, ran z/OS there, have success story.
>> but I haven't tried to build perl there yet.
>>
>> > We don't have infinite developer resources. (It's rather closer to 0 than
>> > infinity.) So everything is a trade off, and effort being consumed by this
>> > means that something else isn't being done. So effectively EBCDIC support
>> > is stealing progress from the rest of the Perl userbase.
>>
>> Given that developer resources are indeed finite, these should be not wasted,
>> so throwing away current UTF-EBCDIC is a serious step back.
>>
>> Speaking about resources distractions, there will always be many.
>>
>> Please let Perl for z/OS and hence UTF-EBCDIC be there for some more while.
>
> From the point of view of developer resources, existing EBCDIC code is a
> sunk cost. From that perspective it makes no difference whether it stays
> or goes.
>
> For future developer resources, continuing to support EBCDIC is not a sunk
> cost. It costs more to support it than to remove it. Its presence, as I said,
> effectively steals from everything else.
>
> And it's a sham to say that we are "supporting" EBCDIC when we don't even
> have any test results to know what works and what does not.
>
> So, as Ricardo said, unless regular EBCDIC smoking starts soon, we WILL
> be removing EBCDIC code soon after 5.20.0 ships.
>
> On this matter, actions speak louder than words.
>
> Nicholas Clark

Well we did hear from someone that has access to such a system
and seems willing to help.

She (pronoun guessed from name) will need someone to guide her
through getting a smoker up and running.
Which I have yet to do even on a system I have direct access to.
So I doubt that I would be of much use.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM,  <CARROS1@nationwide.com> wrote:
> Would a zPDT based system be OK.
> I have one running zOS 1.13 currently I have full access to.  if it can run
> on that then I'm willing to do that. it's also the only place we have
> compilers licensed
>
> Sandra

At the very least, we can see just how broken it has gotten, to get a better
idea about how much work it will take to get it working again.