develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2014

Re: EBCDIC support is on the chopping block

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
February 18, 2014 16:16
Re: EBCDIC support is on the chopping block
Message ID:
20140218161556.GA26035@cancer.codesimply.com
* Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> [2013-02-06T18:31:17]
> [ This message was also sent to perl-mvs ]
>
> As was brought up about 18 months ago...
>
>   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.mvs/2011/09/msg1545.html
>   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.mvs/2012/01/msg1598.html

Now it's been another twelve months.

> ...support for z/OS, specifically EBCDIC support, is on the chopping block.
> So far, no dedicated resources, human or otherwise, have been provided.

We've been talking about dropping EBCDIC unless we get a dedicated resource for
smoking perl for two and a half years, initially saying that we were going to
drop it after 5.18.0.  Despite the great efforts by Karl to make the core tests
pass, we seem to have no dedicated EBCDIC testing, nor any prospect of having
it.

I think this has been long enough.  We've gone past my threatened dates a
number of times.  Unless I've missed some existing promise of testing that
simply hasn't been turned on, but is ready to run on a regular schedule with a
machine that won't go away without warning, I think it's time to consider the
plug pullable in 5.21.early.

--
rjbs