develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2014

RE: [perl #121073] IO::Compress COW problems

From:
Paul Marquess
Date:
February 1, 2014 23:26
RE: [perl #121073] IO::Compress COW problems
Message ID:
025601cf1fa4$fe654120$fb2fc360$@ntlworld.com
> From: Father Chrysostomos [mailto:sprout@cpan.org]

> Paul Marquess wrote:
> > Regarding the patch, I'm confused why C::R::Zlib needs updates, but
> > C::R::Bzip2 doesn't. The XS code is practically identical (because I
> > recycled Zlib.xs when I was writing Bzip2.xs), so I don't understand
> > why there isn't a COW issue with both?
>
> Presumably it does.  I only fixed the issues that caused test failures in
> the perl core under -Accflags=-DPERL_DEBUG_READONLY_COW.  Those failures
> were in IO::Compress's tests, so presumably it tests with ::Zlib by
default?

The IO::Compress tests use both Compress::Raw::Zlib and
Compress::Raw::Bzip2.

> If you take the tests I included in the patch and adjust them for Bzip2,
> do they fail with it?

Yep - they do. Merged the patch into Compress::Raw::Bzip2

Uploaded new versions (2.064) of the all the compression modules to CPAN.

Paul