Re: perl-5.18.2 is now available

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
January 9, 2014 15:48
Re: perl-5.18.2 is now available
Message ID:
20140109164832.48e60f2c@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 21:43:20 -0500, Ricardo Signes
<perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> One of the major mistakes people make is that they think manners are
> only the expression of happy ideas.  There's a whole range of behavior
> that can be expressed in a mannerly way.  That's what civilization is all
> about – doing it in a mannerly and not an antagonistic way.  One of the
> places we went wrong was the naturalistic Rousseauean movement of the
> Sixties in which people said, "Why can't you just say what's on your
> mind?"  In civilization there have to be some restraints.  If we
> followed every impulse, we'd be killing one another.
>
>     -- Miss Manners
>
> We are pleased to announce Perl 5.18.2, the 3rd release of version 18
> of Perl 5.
>
> You will soon be able to download Perl 5.18.2 from your favorite CPAN mirror
> or find it at:
>
> https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/perl-5.18.2/

Positively "surprised" by how many modules build built out of the box
now compared to the number of failures when I tried for 5.18.0

$ grep ^=head2 5.18.2/i686-linux-64int-ld/perllocal.pod | wc -l
879
$ find {,site_perl/}5.18.2 -name \*.pm|wc -l
9528

Tk::Image::Calculations fails for using «for $x qw( foo bar ) {» in the
test, but I already filed a ticket when seeing that for 5.18.0. I don't
expect the author to return to change that.

Some still had (ignorable) POD errors

My only real problem is SVN::Core, which doesn't build at all anymore,
depending on mod_dav_svn. That really sucks

Hoping I can make «git svn» to work without that, 5.18.2 is now my
production perl on my laptop!

Thanks to all that helped

using perl5.00307 .. 5.19   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE