Re: [perl #119593] Bleadperl v5.19.3-296-gffdb8b1 breaks BAREFOOT/Test-File-1.34.tar.gz

From:
Reini Urban
Date:
January 9, 2014 15:23
Re: [perl #119593] Bleadperl v5.19.3-296-gffdb8b1 breaks BAREFOOT/Test-File-1.34.tar.gz
Message ID:
CAHiT=DFfT8kXcgGnsZxwM8GQAbK=qELSBq0uQ2vx0rDtuVOZEw@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:
> bulk88 via RT wrote:
>>I did think of something, what if a single bit in the op struct indicated
>>if this op is on a new line, or previous line.
>
> Unworkable.  With conditionals, multiple paths can be taken through the
> ops of a statement, leading to disagreements about the line an op is on.
> (Similar to existing issues about an op being reached from more than one
> COP, but worse in that it'll produce totally bogus line numbers rather
> than just the correct line number for the wrong code.)  You also run
> into trouble if there's a blank line between consecutive ops, and where
> the op execution sequence goes back a line, and where a #line directive
> ascribes a totally different line number to the next op, and where a
> statement is split between files.

So you have no idea about my oplines branch from 2008, which moves the
copline to every op
and saves 8% space and runtime by omitting unnecessary nextstate cops.
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/09/msg140023.html

It it not ready, as I did just to test the optimization idea.
What is missing are the COP search in case of warnings/die and the
fixes for the debugger.

--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/